Saturday, March 29, 2014

Flower Ball



What You'll Need:
Bouquet of Fake Flowers
Styrofoam Ball: pick any size

NOT PICTURED:
Hot Glue 
String/cord/rope
Safety Pin 








First off, I wanna start by saying that fake flowers can be extremely expensive, but the craft stores put them on sale. So, be sure to wait it out and buy the flowers when they are on sale. I got all my flowers for 50% off at JoAnn's this past weekend, so it can be less ridiculous. 

Let's BEGIN! 

To begin, the flowers need to be removed from the stems.




















If your flowers are made like the one pictured below with a piece of plastic connecting the flower to the stem, you can just gently pull on this piece away from the stem and the flower will be ready to go. However, if your flowers just directly connect to the stem, you can use wire cutters to cut the flower away from the long stem while still keeping atleast half an inch of stem in order to poke it into the styrofoam. 




















Now that I have separated flowers, I began to poke my flowers in the styrofoam. I went all the way around in a line at first keeping the flowers outer edges touching. At this point, I realized I did not have enough of the same flower, so I used some purple flowers that you will see in later pictures to fill the bottom. I left the top part bare. 



















I ended up running into another problem. My flowers were falling out of the styrofoam...so........
I turned to my trusty superglue... 



But, that didn't work either, so I turned to my even more trusty hot glue gun. Pull the flower out the the styrofoam. Coat what is left of the stem in hot glue. Then push the flower back into the original hole.



















You can stop here and leave it as a table decoration, or you can go on to make it be able to hang from something. 



















I took a large safety pin and connected my thread to this safety pin. I then eye-balled a distance in that would still be able to hold the ball without the thread breaking through the styrofoam. So, I pushed the safety pin through the styrofoam ball and tied a knot in the sting making a loop. 



















And then all you have to do is hang it up! 


Hope you have enjoyed a little bit of flower power! 

-H

P.S. I am SUPER obsessed with fake flowers right now. So, expect to see a lot of crafts with fake flowers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment